Re: Prelim. DAV spec.

At 09:56 AM 10/31/96 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:

>The primary reason why content negotiation ALLOWS for multiple
>representations without specific URLs for each of those
>representations is to support those situations where the
>representation is computed on-the-fly, e.g., different charset
>encodings (EUC, Shift-JIS) of the same Japanese document, different
>image representations (GIF, PNG, JPEG) of the same original image, or
>just different pages constructed on the fly from a database.
>
>I'd claim that in all of those situations, 'versioning' will not apply
>to the individual representations anyway.
>
>Are there any situations you can imagine or explain where the
>versioned representations don't conveniently have URLs but should be
>versioned independently?
>
>Larry

If there are cases where variants are NOT computed on the fly, what should
happen when someone creates a new version of the resource (by editing one of
the variants)?  I assume the user would normally prefer for the other
variants to be brought into synch automatically -- for new versions of them
to be generated from the one he submitted.  Do we want to do anything to
support this?

--Judy
Name:		Judith A. Slein
E-Mail:		slein@wrc.xerox.com