Re: RFC on Fragment Directives

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 9:37 AM, David Bokan <bokan@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to get some broader feedback on the proposal of a "fragment directive". The basic idea is to encode a section of the URL fragment for "UA instructions". e.g.
>
> https://example.org#fragment##fragment-directive <https://example.org/#fragment##fragment-directive>
Absolutely not. Only one # is allowed in a reference because some implementations parse
left-to-right (correctly) and others parse right-to-left (incorrectly), and there is absolutely
nothing you can say or do that will ever make that interoperable in practice.

In contrast,

 https://example.org/#text=what%20I%20am%looking%20for

will do exactly what you want (it has been specified many times before) without changing
reference parsers or the meaning of identifiers: all you need to do is change the default action
for the browser to take in HTML when there is no matching id for the fragment in the target
context and the fragment's prefix= matches this new semantic.

....Roy