Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:55:58 -0500
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
Cc: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, uri@w3.org, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
John C Klensin scripsit:

> The distinction between mapping for something typed or otherwise
> specified directly by the user and a mapping requirement for domains
> or URLs/URIs stored in documents, search or DNS examination programs,
> and the like keeps getting lost in this set of discussions, but is
> really, seriously, important.

I'm not so sure.  In the end, URLs in documents tend to be typed by
the user too, it's just a different kind of user.  You could argue that
document editors should do the mapping themselves, but then you're back
to the old stand.

> best,
>    john
>
> And, again,

Ceterum censeo ...

--
A few times, I did some exuberant stomping about,       John Cowan
like a hippo auditioning for Riverdance, though         cowan@ccil.org