Re: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 21:07:59 -0500
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> These are both in UTF-8, are visually indistinguishable, and are
> identical under NFC, but fopen() cares which bag of bytes you grab.

The same is true on Windows, where filenames are 16-bit code units rather
than 8-bit code units.  In general, we simply cannot normalize file names,
because both Windows and Unix filesystems distinguish between names that
are equivalent under canonical equivalence.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
The whole of Gaul is quartered into three halves.