RE: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

I applaud the move to document file:.

Three comments on http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kerwin-file-scheme

First comment:

Please align with the special processing for “file:” in:
https://specs.webplatform.org/url/webspecs/develop/

That spec (developed in sync with WHATWG URL) focuses on
parsing and processing of base + relative, when the scheme
(or base scheme) is  “file:”, while the kerwin-file-scheme
talks more about mapping between local file paths and “file:”
IRIs (URLs).

But the overlap is significant, and I hope could be eliminated,
if the direction of moving the webplatform.org spec to
obsolete 3987 is accepted.

Second comment:

You describe the relationship between local file names
and ‘file:’ URLS for “UNIX-like”, “DOS- or Windows-based”
and “VMS Files-11”. These categories aren’t precise or
exhaustive, and file system processing of file names can
vary depending on version, language pack installed in OS,
as well as network protocol (Nfs?).

I would rather see a more extensible organization of
the specification by establishing a template, and then
separately documenting, on a file-system by file-system
basis, how to translate and match, based not on the
URI but on the parsed components resulting from
URL-parsing. This would allow new or different file
systems to be documented.

Third comment:

The translation between file names and URLs and things
like them happen in several specs:

content-disposition for file download, multipart/form-data
for file upload, by common HTTP servers, when packaging files
together into archive types as being discussed by those proposing
a new ‘archive’ top level media type.

It would be beneficial if we converge these, as it reduces interoperability
to have incompatible methods of translation for local files names depending
on the categorization.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net