Re: reviving the file URI scheme

On 2013-12-13 03:48, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Friday, December 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM, John Cowan wrote:
>
>> Marcos Caceres scripsit:

>>> I think you might be confused: a browser is a reference implementation
>>> (in that you can reference it as attempting to implement a standard); a
>>> standard is a technical specification that has multiple implementations
>>> and is overseen by a standardization authority (in this case, the
>>> WHATWG).
>>

>> A reference implementation is an implementation that itself constitutes the
>> standard; if you want to know what the standard prescribes, you fire up
>> the implementation and try it. WHATWG standards are written in code
>> (it would be perfectly feasible to write a compiler for it), and that's
>> why they are reference implementations.
>>

> I don’t understand what you mean by they are written in code?

They are written in pseudo-code written in English (at least this one).

This might be very useful for people writing implementation code, but
it's not so helpful for people *using* the feature (like authoring file
URIs), or people trying to understand why something works the way it works.

Best regards, Julian