Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:49:15 +0100
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
CC: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, uri@w3.org, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 23/08/13 16:13, John C Klensin wrote:
> Agreed, with a few qualifications.   First, for reasons
> explained by others in this thread, IDNA2008 allows mapping to
> correspond to well-understood local needs.  Global and
> non-selective use of the same mapping in every instance of a
> particular browser, or by all browsers, is inconsistent with
> that intent.  That distinction is purely philosophical in the
> vast majority of cases but may be quite important to the
> exceptions; we should not lose track of it.

I'm happy to maintain the distinction, while noting that "if it works in
one place, it works everywhere" has been a touchstone of Firefox's
implementation of IDN. (This is why, for example, we have avoided the
idea that a particular IDN domain name's functioning or Unicode display
should depend on which languages are installed on your computer.)

Gerv