Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:23:10 -0400
To: Mark Davis ? <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, Marcos Sanz <sanz@denic.de>, Jungshik SHIN (신정식) <jshin1987+w3@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:19:02PM +0200, Mark Davis ? wrote:

>    registries disallow non-IDNA2008 URLs. I say URLs, because the registries
>    need to not only disallow them in SLDs (eg http://☃.com), they
> *also*need to forbid their subregistries from having them in Nth-level
> domains
>    (that is, disallow http://☃.blogspot.ch/ = xn--n3h.blogspot.ch).

This isn't something that they do today.  Indeed, there is nothing to
prevent a site from putting a label there that is just the relevant
raw UTF-8 bits.  The thing we use to avoid this is "it doesn't work".

In a different context, Dennis Jennings has been arguing for similar
rules as well, and it's a mistake.  We do not _want_ deep labels to
have to follow the same rules as for names at the second or third
levels.  For instance, we want top-level domain registries to permit
only LDH-labels (of some sort, including A-labels).  But LDH-labels
don't include underscores.  Does that mean that we'd want to ban (say)
SRV or DKIM TXT records?  I think not.

The DNS is not a global database with consistent policy.  That's a
deep down design feature, not a bug, and if people think that it
_needs_ to have a consistent policy, then we need a different naming
system.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com