Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:19:12 -0400
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, Jungshik SHIN (신정식) <jshin1987+w3@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, IDNA update work <idna-update@alvestrand.no>, "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <public-iri@w3.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>, John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Marcos Sanz <sanz@denic.de>, "www-tag.w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Mark Davis ☕ scripsit:

> *also*need to forbid their subregistries from having them in Nth-level
> domains
>    (that is, disallow http://☃.blogspot.ch/ = xn--n3h.blogspot.ch).

Through what technical or social means would that be arranged?  TLD
registries have never had any control over their subregistries'
use of names that I know of; I should think it would have to be
implemented by contract between the registry and the subregistry,
and many existing subregistries might well balk.

--
A rose by any other name                            John Cowan
may smell as sweet,                                 http://www.ccil.org/~cowan