Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> "whatever you find in a @href" is neither a relative URL nor an absolute
>> URL. I don't think it's helpful to insist on that.
>
> Nobody is. I plan on defining relative URL/absolute URL only as what
> is valid. The input to the parser can just be href's attribute value.
> As far as developers are concerned, they are to put a relative
> URL/absolute URL as the value of the href attribute,

What Julian is trying to get across is that the content of an @href is a *URI Reference*, not a URI.

You and Ian seem to acidentally or deliberately ignore that distinction. Hence it appears you 'insist' that the value of an @href would be a URI.

And Julian is right. Insisting to ignore that distinction is not helpful because, as Roy already pointed out, the whole discussion is a different one if you were talking about 'fixing parsing of URI references'.

Jan