Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > The notion that curl, or an HTTP cache manager, or an XML namespace
> > processor, is going to be routing around errors, strikes me on the face
> > of it as being wrong.  One of the main uses I put curl to is making sure
> > I have the URL exactly right before I drop it into chat or whatever.
>
>    $ wget 'http://example.com/a b'
>    --2012-10-23 00:27:43--  http://example.com/a%20b
>
>    # test.cgi returns a 301 with "Location: a b"
>    $ curl -L
> http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/url/in-http-headers/test.cgi
>    This file is:
> http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/url/in-http-headers/a%20b
>
> Software does this stuff already. We need to make sure it does it
> interoperably.

Hmm.  I went to tbray.org and made a file at '$ROOT_DIR/tmp/a b' - note the
space.

Then I did

curl -I 'http://www.tbray.org/tmp/a%20b'
curl -I 'http://www.tbray.org/tmp/a b'

Curl, quite properly, doesn’t fuck with what I ask it, and revealed a very
interesting fact: That my Apache httpd returns 200 for both of these, but,
with, uh, interesting variations, amounting to what I think is quite
possibly a bug.  I also pasted the version with the space into the nearest
Web browser, and it quite properly auto-corrected to a%20b.

I think it’s a bug that curl is claiming the 301 pointed at "a%20b" not "a
b".  Because suppose it had pointed at "a%20b" - I don’t want middleware
lying to me.

It seems like a good idea to document the steps by which "a b" pasted in
becomes "a%20b" in the address bar. But I don’t see the relevance outside
human-authored strings.  -T