Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> >
> > The point is that what you and Anne are addressing is parsing of URI
> > *References* not URIs.
>
> Anne's spec defines how you get from any arbitrary string (plus a base
> URL) to a data structure with fields like scheme, hostname, port, path,
> etc. The input can be absolute, completely invalid, the empty string,
> whatever.

Sounds useful but does not sound really like Anne's spec is "defining
URLs", however. Clarifying the language in your spec ought to resolve any
possible confusion.

> > This is why any references to fixing or aligning URI syntax with reality
> > is besides the point and not neccessary. All that you (we) deal with is
> > URI references and how to parse them to yield valid URIs.
>
> That's certainly part of the required work, yes. It's not all of it.

Is there a list of issues that you and Anne are working from for this? If
there indeed is a need to update the URI/IRI RFC's to address specific
problems I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort to draft up an I-D. I'd be
more than willing to help out with such an effort.

> [snip]
> I think the person doing the work has the prerogative to do it wherever he
> or she wants to do it. Maybe the IETF should consider why Anne isn't doing
> it in the IETF.

Indeed. Good question: Anne, is there are particular reason why you chose
not to pursue this work as an I-D? Let's get that particular issue resolved.

- James