Re: obsoleting 3986 -- what would it look like?

Well hidden, I guess. See <http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/xml/>.

> 2141, 3986, 3987, and 5234. Does IETF keep XML documents as canonical
> representations? They appear to publish the official standards in
> ASCII.

Yep.

Sources for 3986 and 5234 are at <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/>,
they use extensions so you'll have to look at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#clean-for-dtd>.

> It would be super-cool if <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfcXXXX> had a
> link with "[txt|pdf]" for XML or a <link> in the HTML source for an
> XML alternate. This seems dependent on IETF practices w.r.t. draft
> conformance requirements. Is use of XML and xml2rfc mandatory? If so,

No, it's not.

> what needs to be done to expose XML representations for all RFCs?

You can always ask the RFC Editor whether they have a copy of the XML;
they should for most RFCs of the last ~7 years.

Best regards, Julian