update on URL testing and the W3C's test framework

From: Chris Weber <chris@lookout.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 19:27:32 -0800
To: "PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG" <PUBLIC-IRI@w3.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
CC: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Hello, I wanted to share some of the progress that's being made in URL
testing.  About 600 test cases are available in JSON format here:

https://raw.github.com/cweb/url-testing/master/urls.json

Most of these have been collected from Webkit as referenced in the JSON
file. While usable, there's more work required before this could be
called stable:

- The "expected" results are currently based mostly on what Webkit
expects, as a majority of these are taken from Webkit's test framework.
- I plan to add a descriptive comment to each test case.
- I plan to curate each test case more closely to catch any errors in
the data.

My main question to the list:  How should the "expected results" be
determined for each test case?

I've also started building a test page, which is in a very rough
work-in-progress stage, located at http://www.lookout.net/test/url/.
It's based from Simon Pieters and the W3C test framework.  See
http://simon.html5.org/test/url/relative-resolution.html and
http://darobin.github.com/test-harness-tutorial/docs/using-testharness.html

More test cases and test groupings are always welcome.  For Web browser
testing, further plans include using a server-side component to test
equivalence between the DOM representation and what's sent on the wire
in a GET request.

Best regards,
Chris