Re: [ftpext] FWD: New Version Notification for draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-03.txt

28.06.2011 23:50, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
>
>>> A new version of I-D, draft-yevstifeyev-ftp-uri-scheme-03.txt has
>>> been successfully submitted by Mykyta Yevstifeyev and posted to the
>>> IETF repository.
>
> I'm afraid this draft is drifting even further into a territory where
> it dictates how to do FTP in a way I don't think it can or should.
>
> Some random remarks on the -03 version:
>
> Section 2.2
>
> Introduced a typo on line 2, "a file a directory" should be "a file or
> a directory".
Agreed here.  I'll correct.

> Section 2.2.3
>
> I object to (1b) as it is present and then mentioned to be NOT
> RECOMMENDED and then it is claimed to be there due to "compatibility
> with some FTP clients" but the only times I've had to use that method
> it has been to overcome problems caused by FTP servers (or server
> installations at least). Its existance in the spec is utterly
> confusing to me.
With regard to this, I think this isn't a problem, so I'll remove this step.

> (3) seems to mandate PORT or PASV to be used. This is not how many
> clients of today work - they prefer EPSV or EPRT and a lot of them
> also use STAT instead of opening a second connection. I strongly
> oppose to the the URI spec to dictate this.
I agree here as well - so it will be "arrange data connection using an
appropriate method (eg. PORT, PASV [RFC0959], EPRT or EPSV [RFC2428]
command; using historical LPRT and LPSV [RFC1639] for this purpose is
strongly discouraged);"

> Similarly, I object to (4a) and (4b) claiming that NLST should be used
> to list directories. That's entirely up to the client on how it thinks
> is best to get the contents of a directory.
With this respect NLST was borrowed from RFC 1738.  So I'll change so
that (4a) and (4b) will not mention NLST but rather "an appropriate
method, like LIST, NLST [RFC0959] or MLST [RFC3659] command"

Thanks for your feedback.
Mykyta Yevstifeyev