Re: Status of RFC 1738 -- 'ftp' URI scheme

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:15:46 -0500
To: Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik@microfocus.com>
Cc: URI <uri@w3.org>
Michael Wojcik scripsit:

> I don't think the file scheme should try to do anything at all, beyond
> attempting to open the named resource using the normal OS mechanism for
> opening a file.

But that's precisely my point: UNC names *are* obtained by opening the
named resource using the normal OS mechanism, given the obvious mapping
of / to \ (which is not actually required by the Windows kernel).

--
John Cowan              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      cowan@ccil.org
"After all, would you consider a man without honor wealthy, even if his