From: Austin.Cheney@travelocity.com
To: mattmill30@hotmail.com; uri@w3.org
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:37:30 -0500
Subject: RE: is it possible to handle an XML/HTML elements attribute via the URI?

Matthew,

URI is only an addressing means.  In URI “#” is
a hierarchy character.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.2.3

Your question appears to be more focused on the processing of
the HTTP URI scheme.  Unfortunately there is not an RFC dedicated to the
HTTP URI scheme as RFC2616 is more concerned with the application processing requirements
of HTTP.  If you need this functionality for proprietary use you can
create a privately used URI scheme that does anything your applications are
willing to consume.

If you need to address specific functionality for public
consumption across the web I would suggest you reexamine your example as it is
not compatible with HTML.  In HTTP URI scheme the “#” is a
pointer to a section denoted with an id value and in HTML the id is an
attribute.  In HTML attributes do not have attributes of their own.
That said, your example is unclear.  Please specify your example next time
with code whether HTML or some other syntax.

Thanks,

Austin Cheney, Travelocity User Experience

CISSP TS/SCI