Re: Status of RFC 1738

From: Graham Klyne <GK-lists@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:50:35 +0000
To: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
CC: uri@w3.org
Mike Brown wrote:
> I'm not convinced 'file' really needs an RFC at all. The lack of specific,
> prescriptive guidelines aren't really impeding implementers, and 'file' URI
> interoperability in browsers isn't something I hear much clamoring for.

That's not my sense.  A lot of web applications, other than browsers, use file:
URIs as a way of accessing local resources alongside global ones.  In my past
experience as a developer, a little more consistency in the various ways in
which file: URIs are constructed and interpreted would be really helpful (e.g.
handling drive names on Windows systems; exactly what constitutes an
"authority", etc.).

The trouble is, it's a Hard Problem made complex by the heavy hand of history.

I have no argument with the rest of your message.

#g