Re: non-HTTP URIs in HTTP requests

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:40:50 -0500
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Cc: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>, Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com scripsit:

> "The Telnet URL scheme is used to designate interactive services that may
> be accessed by the Telnet protocol [STD8]."
>
> So, the telnet URI scheme cannot (by my reading) be used to designate blog
> entries, news reports, or other document-like resources.

Why not?  If you use the Telnet protocol on
telnet://lambda.moo.mud.org:8888/, you'll get interaction with LambdaMOO.
But if you ask a proxy using the HTTP protocol, a 303 redirecting you
to http://www.lambdamoo.info/ is perfectly sensible.

--
It was dreary and wearisome.  Cold clammy winter still held way in this
forsaken country.  The only green was the scum of livid weed on the dark