Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

Erik Wilde wrote:
> hello.
>
> Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>
>> There should not be.  I have trying this many times.  A URI, fragmented
>> or not, denotes one thing and its returned representations another.  The
>> former is the content of the later.  The remedy is to define a URI
>> syntax for representation.
>> A syntax that I have proposed is to insert a (mime-type) after the # sign.
>> Thus,
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#danbri" denotes a person.
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/rdf+xml)danbri" denotes an RDF
>> node.
>> "http://danbri.org/foaf.rdf#(application/xhtml+xml)danbri" denotes an
>> HTML element ided "danbri
>>

> interesting. would that be specific for http-identified resources? if
> not, how would that be supposed to work with URI schemes that do not
> share HTTP's capabilities for transferring content metadata, and
> performing content negotiation? a simple example might be FTP, which is
> similar in nature to HTTP (access to hierarchically organized resources)
> but has no concept of media types.

I don't think a URI scheme has to do anything with transportation
protocol.  No matter what URI you use, after de-reference, you get a
*representation*, which is a different thing from the *resource* that
the URI denotes.  And a representation must have a content type,
regardless how you retrieved it.
> another thing i am wondering about: aren't fragment identifiers as they
> are currently defined client-side only and specific to the media type
> anyway? that might indicate you are talking not about extending the URI
> syntax, but that of HTTP URI fragment identifiers?
See the above answer.
> there were other
> approaches of doing this (with other goals), one of the issues was how
> to create some framework for fragment identifiers that would be
> uniformly applied to all fragment identifier syntaxes.
I am not sure what is the purpose for that -- a standard syntax for
fragment identifier?  It is just a name, right? What I am proposing is
to make a syntactic notation on URI syntax so that we will no longer be
pondered by the question of what a URI denote.
> that one never
> got anywhere, and the window of opportunity is probably closed by now.
> but there the idea was that instead of labeling fragments with the media
> type to which they should be applied (which seems to be what you're
> suggesting), they should follow some base syntax, and thus could be
> designed to be less brittle across media types. HTTP's idea of content
> negotiation (and thus dynamic media type assignment at access time) and
> URI fragment identifiers and their media type specificity always was one
> of the areas where web architecture certainly could need a bit of
> improvment.

Content negotiation does not cause the problem.  It only makes the
problem obvious.  The Web is based on three fundamental entities: URI,
Resource, Representation.  But currently, the referential range of the
URI only covers resource but URI and Representation.  What I have
proposed in my manuscript to ISWC 2009 is as follows.

1. If a URI's root is ended with a "~", it denotes the URI sans the "~".
2. Insert (mime-type) after # to denote a particular type of
representation retrieved from a URI.
3. If a URI's root is ended with a "?", it denotes the list of all
mime-types supported by the root URI.

With #1, we can built a URI that is composed of any numbers of URI but
yet still maintain a level of curtness because the mapping can be
described in a representation and can be retrieved.  This will  solve
most, if not all, problems raised in XSD use cases.

The reason for #2 is for httpRange-14 that has hunted us for 7+ years.
As a side note to Dan, I think mime-type should be formulated in URI
just like any other resource.  I have detailed my reasoning from my
manuscript.  One of the use case is that I have one resource but there
are two available XML schema, which overlaps but neither one consumes
the other.  With the current media-type specification, it forces me to
choose one, which is not what the best for me and for my potential
clients.  Also, there are other advantages of extending mime-type to
URI.  For instance, in principle, a client can "follow the nose" to
retrieve something and parse a novel format.

The #3 is in essence a transparent content negotiation.  But modeling it
as a kind of resource allows all kind of formats be used to describe the
list.  Also, at the most fundamental level, a mime-type is  semantically
equivalent to a service, so the #3 can be considered to be a default
standard mechanism for service discovery. This thus essentially solves
all the so-called "uniform access to metadata" problem.

This  URI pattern (TIP, I called it a pattern for now since it is not a
in URI spec) + The And Pattern (TAP i.e., to supply a resource with one
mime-type And another And another via content negotiation), gives us
both diversity (in presentation) and uniformness (in organization and
therefore discovery).  Personally, I think that is all we need at the
most basic architectural level of the Web.

Xiaoshu