RE: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

It still needs to fit into an element that can only accept a URI. If I end up using a URI I own and put the actual host information in the fragment as suggested, I end up with exactly the kind of solution I am trying to avoid which is making exceptions and defining well-known HTTP URIs that are treated differently.

EHL