Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

On Jul 2, 2009, at 15:06, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
> Why would a *parser* need to know such a thing? A reasoner could
> know this by having access to some sentences that told it what the
> URI refers to. I don't know of any other general way that any
> entity, including a human being, could know what a URI was intended
> to denote.

that's the semantic web world view, where URIs are completely opaque,
always supposed to be http:, and to learn anything about them, a
description must be found and used. on the plain web, URI schemes
carry semantics, so that a client needs no additional information
about tel: to be able to use these URIs. of course, the semantic web
methods of describing something are far richer, but that should not
imply that all URI semantics are or should be deferred to semantic web
technologies.

cheers,

dret.