Re: Registration timing of new URI schemes

I would say that *provisional* registration is a reasonable step when:

(a) you have a reasonable notion that you really do get benefit from a new
scheme and that it is probably distinct in some important technical or social
respect from all existing schemes (that debate will never be final until the
process results in a standard, and maybe not even then :)

(b) preferably have a good name for the scheme that is not likely to cause
confusion or conflict, and is not expected to change

A touchstone for this might be that you have a good (not necessarily final)
description of what the new-scheme URIs would identify, and how they would be used.

#g