Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-duerst-mailto-bis-06.txt

It seems in this draft, revision 06, that the examples are a syntax that are
non-normative.  It would be better if the syntax were formatted in a
standard convention, such as XML or even JSON.  This should be done in a
manner that is not protocol dependent.  It would be more appropriate to
define the concept generally and then use a separate numbered section of the
document to mention processing requirements specific to a protocol and a
sub-point for requirements specific to a markup language in the context of
that transmission protocol.

Within the definition of URI syntax the mailto: protocol extension appears
non-normative.  To be more conforming it SHOULD be used as smtp://.  Such
usage identifies the protocol name and uses URI syntax to separate the
protocol identification from the following resource or identification data.
In other words, this example appears to be a valid URI:
smtp://cheney@mailmarkup.org.

This importance of this consideration rests in the future extensibility of
SMTP as a service oriented protocol with superior server processing and
security capabilities than HTTP allows opposed to merely a message routing
mechanism.  If a markup language is adopted for standard use over SMTP
exclusively the conventions used in that markup language MUST conform to
protocol independent standards in order to communicate seamlessly with
transmissions or documents in the HTTP protocol or other protocols.

In other words, if a markup language is adopted for the SMTP protocol then
communications SHOULD be able to seamless move between SMTP and HTTP based
communications if the user-agent software is capable of processing such.
All that is required is a properly formatted absolute URI.  If standards
exist to define methods that are acceptable in one condition but are
conflicting in an alternate peer condition transmission collisions are
likely to arise where the only solutions are bloated work-arounds.  To be
further specific, if standards are adopted as corner-cases for protocol
specific processing they MUST be explicitly and intentionally limited to
that protocol or not be considered a standard.

Additionally, if a markup language is adopted for SMTP then it may be
necessary to allow user to user hyperlinks using URI syntax in parallel with
URI syntax for webpages over HTTP.  Both methods point to a destination that
may or may not require interactivity, input, or responses.  It cannot and
MUST NOT be presumed that SMTP is limited to sending communications opposed
to opening a transmission for engaging in a sessioned data service.

In order to ensure the convention addressed by this draft has the longest
and most stable life-span possible please ensure its use in different
communication modes is stable to the URI standard, the language of the
specification is not protocol specific, and the intention of the document is
enhancement of the URI standard and not a function of HTML.