Re: Error handling in URIs

On 6/25/08, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>  On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>  > Ian Hickson wrote:
>  > > ...
>  > > > Regular links aren't a problem (if I understand "regular"
>  > > > correctly), because the site owner generated them.
>  > >
>  > > Regular links are the only thing I'm concerned about at the moment.
>  >
>  > Regular links are not a problem at all for pages that use valid URIs in
>  > the first place...
>

> Indeed. However, valid pages aren't the only pages that we want
>  interoperability for.

Yes, I want to know how to handle invalid URIs like browsers do. I
don't want to have to reverse engineer it and don't want others to
reverse engineer it, so please specify as much as you can. I also want
browsers to have something to follow so that handling is consistent.

Although the HTML5 spec is one place for it, it's a shame that the URI
spec only deals with the valid. Just throwing errors and breaking
things isn't always ideal.

What about an "error-handling for URIs" companion spec/rfc instead of
doing it in HTML5?

--
Michael