Re: URIs for the standard output and input streams

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:45:50PM -0800, Paul Prescod wrote:
> As a practical note: if one asks one of today's XSLT to read stdin and
> output it to stdout, would you rather it complained: "I've never heard
> of the posix URI protocol scheme" or "http://purl.org/posix/stdin
> returned 404"?

This is misleading, the respective errors messages would be:

  Could not resolve http://purl.org/posix/stdin.
  Could not resolve std:in.

Both are pretty "wrong" from a users POV and pretty horrendous either
way. The real question you should be asking in this situation is of
the application designer, "why on earth are you using URIs for
STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR when these things have a long and solid foundation
in Unix history of being expressed using shell redirection or special
devices on the local filesystem?"

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman