[Fwd: FW: [DC-GENERAL] Launch of the DCMI Identifiers Community]

FYI. A Dublin Core community around IDs...

Dan

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Ann Apps <ann.apps@MANCHESTER.AC.UK>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:08:40 +0100
  • Subject: FW: [DC-GENERAL] Launch of the DCMI Identifiers Community
  • To: JISC-DEVELOPMENT@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
From: General DCMI discussion list [mailto:DC-GENERAL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Douglas Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:01 AM
To: DC-GENERAL@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Hi all,

I would like to alert members of this list to the new DCMI Identifiers Community established at the recent Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) Advisory Board meeting in Singapore.  It is moderated by Douglas Campbell (National Library of New Zealand).

The community is a forum for individuals and organisations with an interest in the design and use of identifiers in metadata. It also serves as a liaison channel for those involved in identifier efforts in other domains.

There was a lot of interest in identifiers at the recent DCMI conference.  Identifiers are fundamental to the Web and for managing digital content, but most of us don't know where to begin in designing and assigning them.  The level of confusion can be seen in the number of meetings and workshops held just about identifiers.  DCMI is in a unique position to bring together the thinking (and doing) around identifiers from multiple domains.

I would like to encourage you to share your identifier efforts and thinking amongst the DCMI community on our Identifiers wiki at:
  http://dublincore.org/identifierswiki

You can join the community by signing up to our JISCMAIL list, linked from our community homepage at:
  http://www.dublincore.org/groups/identifiers/
or by going direct to jiscmail:
  http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=dc-identifiers&A=1

Thanx,
Douglas

Douglas Campbell
Business Development Analyst
Innovation Centre
National Library of New Zealand

Voice: +64  4  474-3000 x8655
Fax  : +64  4  474-3140
Email: douglas.campbell@natlib.govt.nz
Snail: PO Box 1467, Wellington, NZ
W3   : www.natlib.govt.nz

This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. The contents are not necessarily the official view or communication of the National Library of New Zealand. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to the National Library by e-mail, and destroy any copies. The National Library does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

All e-mails have been scanned for viruses and content by security software. The National Library reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its network.

Ann Apps MBCS CITP. Research & Development, Mimas,
   The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6039  Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 6040
Email: ann.apps@manchester.ac.uk WWW: http://epub.mimas.ac.uk/ann.html