Re: Updated URI Template proposal

Joe Gregorio wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Using listjoin and join, that would come out to:
>>
>> {-opt|?|tags,start,count}{-listjoin|&tag=|tags}{-opt|&|start,count}{-join|&|start,count}
>>
>> Alternatively, if we went with *, it would come out to:
>>
>> {-opt|?|tags,start,count}{-join|&|start,count,tag*}
>
> The use of '-opt' seems awkward just to inject the '?' character.

Agreed (which, I have to admit, is partly why I spelled out the full
example like this)

> Could a lot of cases be combined if 'join' also took a
> prefix string? Then your example comes down to a single expansion:
>
>    {-join|?|&|start,count,tag*}
>
> This would also help with listjoin:
>
>     {-listjoin|/-/|/|categories}
>
> If we did this then we could probably drop -prefix and -append since
> they can be done with -opt, and the most likely uses of -prefix and
> -append would be subsumed by -join and -list.

Yep. append and prefix can go away. join, listjoin and sub should be
able to have a prefix.  opt and neg can handle the rest.

> One of the things we don't have at this point is an agreed upon
> corpus of URIs that we would want to be able to cover
> with URI Templates.

I can work on distilling a list of uri's from many of our application
use cases.  If other can do the same with their applications we can work
out a single set that can be used to seed a test suite.

- James