Re: URI Scheme that needs help.

Frank Ellermann wrote:
:
> The smb: draft apparently tries to introduce an implicit root above
> "foo" in smb://foo for its ../bar magic.  The fastest way to fix
> this oddity could be if the author temporarily removes anything
> about relative URLs from his draft until the rest is clear, and
> adds it again afterwards sticking to the normal RFC 3986 processing
> as for file / ftp / http.

For the workgroup system to be supported by the scheme there must be a
mechanism for listing available workgroups.  It's a sort of boot-strap
process since nothing is known about the local environment until a few
queries are performed behind the scenes.  There's no "name" associated with
"all of the available workgroups", which is why we added the (admittedly
unusual) "smb://" to the top of the hierarchy.

So, yeah... it's an implicit root of sorts.

The traversal between server service and browser service servers is
definitely something that could use some review.  If the scheme is going to
support workgroups at all, however, then I think we need to maintain the
"smb://" semantics.  It's something that has come up time and again and the
usual end-result of the discussion is "Ugh.  Yeah, I guess that's the best
way to make it work."  I've said that myself more than once.  :)

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh@ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh@ubiqx.org