uri-templates and optional parameters

From: Edward Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:11:27 -0500
To: uri@w3.org

I'd really like to have a uri-template [1] to express the following
hierarchical URLs:

   http://loc.gov/issn/1046-8188
   http://loc.gov/issn/1046-8188/1908-08-22
   http://loc.gov/issn/1046-8188/1908-08-22/1
   http://loc.gov/issn/1046-8188/1908-08-22/1/25

with something like:

   http://loc.gov/lccn/{issn}/{date}/{edition}/{page}

What would be the best way to do this? I noticed a similar discussion
[2] about optional parameters before but was left with the impression
that I would have to investigate using wadl or extending uri-template.

Would I be best suited pushing optional parameters into the query
string?

   http://loc.gov/lccn/{issn}?date={date}&edition={edition}&page={page}

I guess more than anything I wanted to say "yeah I'd like that
too" ... and to suggest that the spec at least mention the issue in
the spec.

//Ed

[1] http://bitworking.org/news/URI_Templates
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2006Nov/0048