Re: Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

From: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 22:56:45 -0400
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "James M Snell" <jasnell@gmail.com>, uri@w3.org

On 10/6/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> +1 to dropping component spanning and doing percent-encoding during
> substitution, as well as UTF-8.
>
> However, this will require that the data model for the input to
> substitution be formalized more, as others have pointed out -- which
> I think is a good thing.
>
> Consider:
> a = "foo/bar"
>
> http://www.example.com/{a}
> http://www.example.com/foo?path={a}
>
> The first will need the '/' escaped; the second will not.

True, but there is no harm in % escaping the / in the second,
every cgi library will automatically unencode the %2F
before the application sees it. That is,

   http://www.example.com/foo?path=foo/bar

and

   http://www.example.com/foo?path=foo%2Fbar

will both give a parsed value of '/' for 'path' to the application.

I think this is a good argument for % encoding everywhere.

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org