Re: Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 12:46:11 -0700
To: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, uri@w3.org

Stefan Eissing wrote:
> [snip]
> Currently the templates allow only "unreservered" chars between the
> curly braces which works well for parameter names. Perhaps an "escape
> hatch" would come in handy so the production could look like this:
>
> template-char = unreserved
> template-name  = 1*template-char
> ext_char = unreserved / gen-delims / sub-delims
> template-var  = "{" template-name [ ":" 1*ext_char ] "}"

I think this could work.  Although from the template processors point of
view I would still treat the entire thing as an opaque char sequence.
The only thing the processor would need to pay attention to are the
characters used so it can validate the template.  The interpretation of
the template-var is still left up to the application context.

- James