Re: Template URIs vs. URIs

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 00:58:37 -0700
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>

On Oct 5, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> All of the URI specs have specifically excluded braces from the
>> syntax, partly because it was anticipated that we would need a
>> syntax for variable substitution some day.
>
> There's apparently nothing like <delim> or <unwise> in RFC 3986,

There is no need for them.  The ABNF completely specifies the allowed
characters in a URI.

> and RFC 4622 now happily uses _anything_ that's not explicitly
> "verboten" by RFC 3986.  The xmpp: scheme was reviewed here.

Then RFC 4622 is broken and should be removed from the standards track.
It cannot override a requirement in a full standard:

    URI scheme specifications must define their own
    syntax so that all strings matching their scheme-specific syntax
will
    also match the <absolute-URI> grammar, as described in Section 4.3.

There are no exceptions.

....Roy