Re: Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

The underlying question is whether the the template processor is
responsible for performing the escaping or whether the application
providing the values is responsible.

The difference ends up being very important. In the current draft, a
replacement value can span multiple segments. i.e.,

  http://example.org/{foo}

could expand to:

  http://example.org/jasnell/2006/10?foo#bar

If the template processor performs the escaping, then we either a) rule
out the ability for a replacement value to span multiple segments (e.g.
gen-delims would always end up encoded), b) define explicitly what
characters get encoded and which do not or c) define some sort of
escaping mechanism so the processor knows not to encode certain
characters.

If "none%20of%20the%20above" should expand to
"none%2520of%2520the%2520above", then the replacement value
"jasnell/2006/10?foo#bar" should instead expand to
"jasnell%2F2006%2F10%3Ffoo%23bar"

- James