Re: http-urls style, trailing slash and webdav

From: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:29:00 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: uri@w3.org

Julian Reschke schrieb:
> Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

>> However implementing support for webdav all the clients I tested at
>> least occasionally requested a collection without trailing slash,
>> even if was referenced with slash in the containing collection, this
>> makes it impossible to have two differen resource at
>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot (a GET-dereferencable resource) and
>> http://wymiwyg.org/knobot/ (a dav:collection). It seems that the
>> expected behavior is  that an URL with removed trailing slash either
>> causes the same server response or a redirect to the resource with
>> trailing slash.
>
> Yes. So why don't you just make it one resource that is both a
> DAV:collection and has GETtable content?
The problems I see are:
- Relative URIs in formats such as HTML or N3
- Search engines index twice (maybe not with proper Content-Location header)
- Ambiguity when comparing meta-information (such as bookmark files, or
annotea annotations)

Maybe a work around:
- On GET/POST/PUT requests with a slash at the end: redirect to the url
without slash, except for "/"
- On PROPFIND/PROPATCH requests without slash at the end: deliver
response for the resource with trailing slash iff this is a DAV:collection

Well, I don't like work arounds ;-) - the disadvantage of this one is
that you can't access the non-collection resource with dav-clients (but
for every available content-type there is a version with file-extension,
which is accessible). A pity since things would almost work with the
client integrated in KDE (you just have to manually add a slash to the
url after entering a directory).

Any better suggestion?

reto