Re: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

On 12/22/06, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wonderful analysis Joe; you definitely have a gift for explaining complex
> subjects.

Thank you.

> Regarding the possibilities, is there not the possibility of a #4? To me #4
> would be defining rules on a scheme basis, and tackle the known schemes that
> are of most concern for this proposal at the moment?

That was the very first option I laid out in my analysis, to either
be general and admit we don't cover every case, or to proceed
on a scheme-by-scheme basis.

> Also, could you not have different rules for authority vs. path+etc?  Those
> are well-known distinctions that are easily parsable.

In the == Serenedipity == section of my analysis I point out
that with some restrictions on the characters allowed in template
names that you could break up a URI Template into scheme, authority,
path, query, and fragment and thus process each of those differently.

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org