Internationalized e-mail addresses in "tag" IRIs

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:47:18 -0400
To: URI Interest Group <uri@w3.org>

Al Gilman wrote to the URI Interest Group’s mailing list
(<mailto:uri@w3.org>) on 13 October 2005 in “RE: RFC 2822 email
addresses in tag URIs” (<mid:p06110401bf7405f47ab2@%5B10.0.1.2%5D>,
<http://www.w3.org/mid/p06110401bf7405f47ab2@%5B10.0.1.2%5D>):

> Tim [Kindberg] is suggesting we limit the range of addr-spec allowed in
> 'tag' URIs so that they are legible.

Is that a problem? My view is that the motivation toward legibility and
tractability must eventually bring the “tag” scheme to a full
internationalization. (I am eager to know what Tim Kindberg thinks of
this view.)

> [Larry Masinter is] suggesting [that] it's no problem for one speaker
> group to be able to tag things with addr-spec values that plainly say
> "this is mine" and others to be limited to marking things with
> inscrutable Romanji machine codes.
>
> For the latter groups, this scheme would offer no advantages over
> a hash such as provided in the opaquelocktoken scheme.  For the
> elect, it gives tags that are friendly names, too.

You state the situation well.

--
Etan Wexler.