Re: Converting filenames to file: URIs

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:51:07 -0400
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, uri@w3.org

Graham Klyne scripsit:

> (I would argue that converting file:/// to ftp:/// in the absence of
> specific knowledge about the host system is broken.)

I am not aware of any browser that actually does that; certainly
Lynx (or more accurately libwww) does not, as a quick test will
make clear.  What it does do is convert "file://example.com/..."
into "ftp://example.com/...", which is entirely plausible.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side