RE: Encoding URI From/To UTF-16 Questions

Hi James,

Please don't percent encode UTF-16 in a URI.  RFC 3986 "URI Generic
Syntax" (which obsoletes RFC 2396) says on page 21:

  "The reg-name syntax allows percent-encoded octets in order to
   represent non-ASCII registered names in a uniform way that is
   independent of the underlying name resolution technology.  Non-ASCII
   characters must first be encoded according to UTF-8 [STD63], and then
   each octet of the corresponding UTF-8 sequence must be percent-
>  encoded to be represented as URI characters.  URI producing
>  applications must not use percent-encoding in host unless it is used
>  to represent a UTF-8 character sequence.  When a non-ASCII registered
   name represents an internationalized domain name intended for
   resolution via the DNS, the name must be transformed to the IDNA
   encoding [RFC3490] prior to name lookup.  URI producers should
   provide these registered names in the IDNA encoding, rather than a
   percent-encoding, if they wish to maximize interoperability with
   legacy URI resolvers."

Now that applies only to the domain name part of a URI, but the point
is that it's impossible to mix two different 'native' encodings in a
single URI - because the receiver couldn't possibly know how to
decode them.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc