RE: Last call issue: draft-hansen-2717bis-2718-bis-uri-guidelines

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:37:41 -0700
To: "'Leslie Daigle'" <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, "'Iesg \(E-mail\)'" <iesg@ietf.org>, <tony+urireg@maillennium.att.com>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>

Hi Leslie,

I thought we had responded already, but just in case, please
note that the formal process for registration is "expert review",
not "mailing list review".

> Mailing list review is RECOMMENDED prior to registration, but may also be
> required by the 'Designated Expert' during the 'Expert Review'
> period.

The document explicitly states that the mailing list review is
not formally required. I expect the designated expert to ask for
expert review wherever it seems appropriate, e.g., a URI for
a standards-track protocol should also be reviewed by the appropriate
mailing list(s) for that protocol.

I suppose we could make it even clearer, but I'd really like
to encourage mailing list review even if it isn't formally required.

Larry