Re: Move forward with scoped literal URI format?

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:21:26 -0700
To: jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Cc: uri@w3.org, ipv6@ietf.org

>...I didn't understand the proposal
>assumed additional requirements for URL/URI parsers, so I didn't
>understand its usefulness.  **If we can allow that**, I see this can
>be useful, while it should be minor usage ...

Certainly, it's envisioned to be a small niche, which is why I am
not ready to push too hard on it.

>..."never force
>applications to do any additional work to deal with scopes".

I think the push against additional work was really about addresses
that look (more or less) the same requiring different handling, e.g., an
application would have to know that fec0::1 needed a zone ID but 2002::1
did not.  Since my proposal uses an explicitly different syntax, and
all addresses expressed using this syntax require the zone ID, I *think*
that argument doesn't apply.

  Bill