Re: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:50:52 -0500, Weibel,Stu <weibel@oclc.org> wrote:

> Names...labels... tokens are, admittedly, very important.  Sometimes
> critically so.
>
> But why would one NOT want to say no to requests for token registrations
> that break the protocols of others *and* endanger the usefulness of
> their own.  That strikes me as far worse.

Hold on a minute!

If there exist two schemes called "file", registered as such, but which
are broadly compatible (e.g. one is a small experimental enhancement of
the other, or the extra bells and whistle of each do not clash), then that
might be OK.

But if there are two registered schemes called 'foobar', with totally
different syntax, where one of them enables me to register with Paypal and
the other one conducts a Google search, then what possible merit is there
in that? And if I am writing a web browser, which should I support (I
might even wish to be able to support both).

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.