Re: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:47:10AM -0500, Weibel,Stu wrote:
> Larry raised the point that:
>
> > The proposed registration rules are based on the fact
> > that it is possible to invent and deploy a URI scheme
> > without IANA and IESG approval.
>
> This may be the case, but shouldn't we be providing incentives to reduce
> both the likelihood and impact of this happening?

Yes.  And I believe Dan's suggestion is a good way to do this, as it
decouples policy enforcement from registration, allowing the registry
to reflect reality.

>  Assuring that ALL
> IANA-registered URI scheme tokens are unique is a step in this
> direction.

I respectfully suggest that it would be a step in the opposite
direction.

Just my 2c.

Mark.