RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:20:30 -0800
To: "'Weibel,Stu'" <weibel@oclc.org>, uri@w3.org

> To permit multiple URI Scheme registrations for any given token is to
> severely impair the usefulness of provisional registration.  It affords
> no protection against either careless or malicious registrations that
> would compromise a given provisional registration.

I disagree about "no protection" -- it adds some protection
against inadvertent duplication (because it allows publication
of a URI scheme usage), and even against malicious registration
(because registration includes sufficient information for the
community to react.)

In any case, if you don't like the proposed process, what would you
propose in its place? This seems to me like the best we can do,
given all the requirements.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net