From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:47:30
To:"Weibel,Stu" <weibel@oclc.org>, uri@w3.org
Subject: RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in   2717/8-bis

At 13:24 20/01/05 -0500, Weibel,Stu wrote:
 >It would be helpful if those who hold the view expressed here could
 >indicate explain why assuring uniqueness is detrimental.

In the case of email header fields, it was recognized that duplicates *did*
occur (rarely) in the wild, and that the primary need was to be able to
document what did exist in order that designers could avoid them.  Local
experiments sometimes escape and become global de-facto standards.  By
prohibiting provisional registration of duplicates they would be forced out
of sight, with no clear way for designers of new fields to avoid duplicates.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact

This was sent from my blackberry so please forgive the terse nature of the
response.