RE: Status of the RFC 1738 replacements

Hi,

>I stand behind the belief that not having a recommended practice for
>'file:' is harmful and that we can do better.

I absolutely agree. I think there is a value to recommend these best
practices to influence future implementations, even if it will be almost
impossible to influence current (like existing browser applications).

I attach here a word document with an application note distributed in CIP4
(www.cip4.org), which deals with best practices on the "Use of the File URL
in JDF".
JDF is an XML job ticket definition for the printing industry. It holds the
printing workflow instructions and links to the content files. These links
can use file: URIs.

It was composed since there was a confusion regarding implementing file URI
support between vendors supporting JDF, and it was sure contributed to
better interoperability.

Israel