Re: Relative URI resolution and fragments: editorial comment

On Saturday, June 19, 2004, at 09:06  AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> One thing I noticed while doing so surprised me. The fragment ID of
> the base URI reference is never considered. Even if you're resolving a
> URI such as "" (the empty string) against a URI such as
> http://www.example.com/test#fragID the resolved URI is
> http://www.example.com/test.
>
> This isn't a problem, and I can see the sense of making URI resolution
> work that way. However, it did surprise me. If there's any epxlicit
> language in the spec that notes this, I didn't find it. I suggest
> adding a sentence to section 5.2 that makes this epxlicit; something
> like "The fragment in the base URI is ignored" or "The fragment in the
> base URI always comes from the relative URI,never the base URI."

I have added the following to the first para of 5.1:

   A base URI must conform to the <absolute-URI> syntax rule
   (<xref target="absolute-uri"/>): if the base URI is obtained from a
   URI reference, then that reference must be converted to absolute form
   and stripped of any fragment component prior to use as a base URI.

....Roy