Re: Section 3.5. Passing fragment identifiers to other systems.

On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 08:20  AM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> At 15:02 23/02/04 +0000, Williams, Stuart wrote:
>
>> Roy et. al,
>>
>> RFC2396bis [1] Section 3.5 para 4 states: "As such, interpretation of
>> the
>> fragment identifier during a retrieval action is performed solely by
>> the
>> user agent; the fragment identifier is not passed to other systems
>> during
>> the process of retrieval."
>>
>> Is the focus of this sentence on retrieval deliberate - ie. the spec
>> has
>> nothing to say about whether or not fragment identifiers are passed
>> to other
>> systems during operations other than retrieval?
>>
>> I'd have expected this prohibition to have been more universal.
>
> I'd say that the prohibition must indeed be focused on retrieval.
> There are other applications for which it is vital that a fragment
> identifier part of a URI be passed to other systems - XML namespaces
> and passing RDF data come to mind.

I think what Stuart is noting is that a fragment is also not passed
for PUT or POST or any other action on the URI via HTTP.  I am still
thinking of a way to rephrase it.  Perhaps what it should say is that
the fragment is not passed to another system upon dereference of the
URI?

....Roy