Re: uri handling of hosts is too restrictive

At 06:01 19/02/04 +0000, Adam M. Costello BOGUS address, see signature wrote:
>That's fine.  The rule can be: percent-encoding is allowed everywhere
>except the scheme, and individual schemes cannot make exceptions to this
>rule.

I think that's pretty close to what we have (if permitted normalization is
taken into account - section 6.2.2.2).

[...]
>That paragraph of mine started off more focused, then I generalized it,
>and now I think I'd like to return to the more focused version:
>
>If an individual scheme restricts a component to contain only ASCII
>characters, then scheme-specific IRI consumers would be required
>to check the component before using it, and fail gracefully if any
>non-ASCII characters are found.
>
>That's much simpler, requiring only one bit of knowledge about the
>syntax of the component (whether it allows non-ASCII).

So let's try the "running code" test:  this is about *generic* URI syntax,
and I'm currently implementing a *generic* URI parser.  How am I supposed
to know whether a particular scheme restricts a particular component in any
particular way?

Individual schemes, and scheme-specific parsers, are free to impose any
additional constraints they may see fit, but that's a different issue (cf.
section 1.1.1).

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: