RE: What to do about file:

> At 3:16 PM -0700 8/19/04, Larry Masinter wrote:
> >    When possible, describe what file: URI creators can do
> >     to be compatible with the most common file: URI consumers.
>
> What will the process be to determine which the most common file: URI
> consumers are? If we determine them, how do we determine definitively
> what their processing rules are?

It sounds like you think this is hard. I don't think it's necessary to
be exhaustive or insure we have 'the most common' file URI consumers,
as long as we don't miss the important platforms.

As for determining processing rules: the first step is to look for
documentation, and secondly to ask the implementers. Sometimes it's
easier go get a response if we draft something that purports to
describe an implementation (based on what we can tell) and then
ask for review.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net